Baseball Discussion Group

The Winner Hitter for Parents

A Baseball forum for coaches, parents and players

by TimKafer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:17 am

I just found this site when searching for ways to help my 16 year old son be more aggressive at the plate and found the article entitled The Winning Hitter What a great article. I'd love to have my kids have a coach that puts these ideas into practice. My son seems to go to the plate looking for the perfect strike before he's willing to swing. When he's got confidence, he hits really well.

The best I have come up with is to tell him to channel his best Bryce Harper when he goes to the plate.
So how can a parent help their teen become more aggressive at the plate?
All suggestions greatly appreciated.
Sue
Tim Kafer
TimKafer

by JCbaseball » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:55 pm

What is critical is your sons age. After 15 all batting habits are usually, not always, imbedded in his thought process.

What we use is: "You are HITTING until you say NO". That compared to "Maybe I will swing at this pitch or maybe I will not".

There is not time for a two way muscle memory response thus your son has to mentally "cheat" as if he is swinging at each in coming pitch.

The sweet spot of the bat is only about 3-4 inches with a metal bat and less with wood. The strike-zone is about 7 baseballs wide and 9 baseballs up and down.

Hitting the ball HARD somewhere is the ONLY result you can try and guarantee. That and hustling until the ball beats him to first base or is caught in the outfield.

Any other questions - let me know.
JCbaseball

Return to Baseball Discussion Group