Baseball Discussion Group

Pitch distinctions

A Baseball forum for coaches, parents and players

by BuzzBuzz » Thu May 10, 2018 6:57 pm

I thought I understood the distinction between a curve ball and a slider, but while watching a game on TV which showed where a pitch was relative to the strike zone, and also its speed and type, I realized there were aspects I did not understand.

I had originally thought a curve ball primarily had a downward break, and a slider primarily a side-to-side break. Is this wrong? Also, does the kind of spin put on the ball by the pitcher determine the type of pitch?

Then there are other breaking pitch variations: knuckle curve, etc. I would also much appreciate any knowledgeable participant's explaining the spin type and break type for these other variations of breaking pitches.

Regards,
Buzz
BuzzBuzz

by JCbaseball » Tue May 29, 2018 3:38 pm

The common curve ball is shown late by advanced pitchers not wanting to tip it to the hitter and it involves more wrist action and the P's back of his hand is facing home plate and for a RHP his fingers are pointed towards first base.

A slider is much tougher on elbows and it involves snapping ones fingers and wrist at a later time than the curve.
JCbaseball

by BuzzBuzz » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Hi JCbaseball:

Thank you much for your response. I gather from what you described that there is NO systematic differences about the spin and break between a curve ball and a slider. Is this correct?

When I watch a baseball game on TV, a diagram of the strike zone is shown, and each pitch is instantaneously designated as being a curve, a slider, a knuckle curve, a knuckle ball, a 4 seam fastball, a 2 seam fastball, etc. This is along with the specification of the speed. Can you tell me how that pitch type information is determined by whoever or whatever makes that designation?

Regards,
Buzz
BuzzBuzz

Return to Baseball Discussion Group