Ask The Umpire

SF Giants vs SL Cards Game Five

Get quick answers to all your Umpiring Questions from Jim Thompson, a member of the Florida and National High School Hall of Fame

by JCbaseball » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:46 pm

The game ended with a walk off HR by Travis Ishikawa. The Giants had Joaquin Arias at 2nd base and Brandon Belt at first base and one out.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/28898650/v36821231

The score was 3-3 and the ball looked at first that it would hit the wall and allow R2 to score for a 4-3 walk off win, however when the ball reached the seats - pandemonium broke out.

The Giants players broke onto the field and Jake Peavy almost tackled Ishikawa before he got to third base. I notice all 6 umpires stayed at their positions and watched R2 and R1 touch each base as well as the batter runner Ishikawa. The PU did the normal thing - desperately trying to see Ishikawa's touch of home plate for his out of the park HR.

My questions are - was there anything they could have been looking for and what would those be and in College and HS would these be rather drastic violations by their bench players and how would that apply to NCAA and National HS Fed.

Thanks in advance, JC
JCbaseball

by JimThompson » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:40 am

Umpires were making sure all bases were touched. Did not want a reprat of the Fred Merkle situattion of years ago when Fred did not advance to touch a base to which he was forced and was called out by the umpire aft6r the ball may or may have not been located and thrown to second. for the force out. In NCAA or NF it would have to be a dumb umpire to call such a runner out after a game of such importance was ended as this one was. Just my opinion!
JimThompson

Return to Ask The Umpire