Ask The Umpire

substitution rules

Get quick answers to all your Umpiring Questions from Jim Thompson, a member of the Florida and National High School Hall of Fame

by alexeth » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:21 pm

High School Fall Ball using NFHS rules.
Home team batting 9 with a DH for the pitcher (DH batting in #4 spot).
In the bottom of the 5th inning (which was understood to be the last given the 10-run advantage by the visitors and the time near the no-new-inning mark) after a walk, the 7th batter in the lineup (3rd in the inning and playing 3b when on defense) was replaced with a "pinch runner" who had started the game batting 3rd in the order with appearances in 1st and 4th offensively and playing catcher the whole game.

The next batter in the 8th position was replaced by a kid who was the starting pitcher of the game.

Overall a "who cares" as the game ended by 10-run-rule 2 batters later. But, were either of these substitutions legal? The first seems completely wrong with an active player pinch running for another runner. The 2nd also seemd wrong with a starting pitcher returning to a position other than the DH's position. But, as runners, maybe there's a difference that I'm not aware of.

Thanks!
Matt
alexeth

by JimThompson » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:03 am

By NFHS rules players are "locked in" to the position they are originally placed in the batting order. They can replace aay other player on offense. In your cases, both were illegal
JimThompson

by alexeth » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:26 am

Thanks Jim. That's probably why they jumped out at me. I appreciate the help.

(side note, some word-subbing going on. I originally had "a-s-s-i-s-t" without hyphens, or even with "'-ance" on the end and both were changed to "ingrate"
assist, assistance.
alexeth

by JimThompson » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:08 am

NFHS substitution rules are fairly simple. All starters are "locked in" to their place in the batting order.The DH must be declared on the line up card and should be listed unde4r the player for whom he is batting.. It does not have to be the pitcher. All starters including the DH have re-eentry, but only starters
JimThompson

Return to Ask The Umpire