Ask The Umpire

Calling the Glove

Get quick answers to all your Umpiring Questions from Jim Thompson, a member of the Florida and National High School Hall of Fame

by JCbaseball » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:24 pm

Although it may seem like I am asking for the wheel to be reinvented - I am only stating my complaints due to the fact that most of my time has been spent NOT umpiring. That said I will always view the strike zone as being three dimensional: The ball Enters - goes Through - and reaches it's destination.

To me calling the glove is accepted because - well - it is :-/
I don't think 75% of Barry Zito's called strikes on his 12 to 6 Uncle Charlie were hittable as they passed into and through the strike zone.

I'm not a fan of "Calling the Glove"

http://www.umpire.org/writers/porter.html

*** I expect Jim to come up with something funny....because I'm one of those guys: A Coach :o)
JCbaseball

by JimThompson » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:35 am

When the pitch goes thriugh or touches the strike zone it is, by definition, a strike. As an umptre I could not care less where the glove is or how bad it may look to call a pitch a atrike. A strike is a strike. Give the pitcher credit when he throws one.
JimThompson

by JCbaseball » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:17 am

Jim: My issues are NOT with any umpire, they are with the concept of calling the pitch a strike IF it hits the glove in the strike zone or better yet a pitch that enters clearly in the front portion of the strike zone, passes THROUGH still in the strike zone and because the catcher receives the pitch OFF the plate, umpires call it a BALL. If a hitter waits until it hits the mitt - it is then NOT part of that hitters HITTING zone.
JCbaseball

by JimThompson » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:29 am

I don't understand your issue with this subject. I think this depends on the individual umpire. In my opinion, a good umpire will call a srtike if the ball is in the strik zone no matter where the catcher's glove may be. If not, he's hurting the pitcher.
JimThompson

by JCbaseball » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:57 pm

I'm talking about pitches that have NO entry into the hitting zone of a batter but plunk down into the catchers mitt in the final entry/exit of the strike zone. THAT is not a strike. A hitter could not hit that pitch with a boat oar thus I think those umpires who call those particular pitches a strike have subscribed to "Calling the Glove"
JCbaseball

by JimThompson » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:53 am

If the pitch is not a strike, I really don't care what an umpire is doing when he calls it a strike. He's wrong.
JimThompson

Return to Ask The Umpire