Ask The Umpire

Hockey Mask or Old School?

Get quick answers to all your Umpiring Questions from Jim Thompson, a member of the Florida and National High School Hall of Fame

by JCbaseball » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:05 pm

Injury Study - The Slot and Mask vs Helmet Debate

http://www.closecallsports.com/2016/05/ ... elmet.html
JCbaseball

by VTHokieUmp » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:58 pm

I've worn both and both have advantages and disadvantages. I wore a HSM until I took a shot off the cage right between the eyes. While I didn't suffer a concussion, I left the game due to the ringing in my ears. Imagine someone putting a bucket over your head and whacking it with a hammer. They are also very hot on hot days. They do offer great vision and side and top of the head protection. They're great on field with the old-style clam shell backstops.

I currently wear an All Star I-Bar titanium mask with a Wilson harness and Team Wendy pads. All Star harnesses may work well for catchers but they're terrible for umpires. Team Wendy pads are the current "state of the art" mask pad - I've never worn better or more comfortable pads. I've taken some good shots off the mask. The key to minimizing potential injuries from a shot to the mask is properly adjusting the harness so the mask is loose enough to absorb the force and spin off your face.
VTHokieUmp

Return to Ask The Umpire