Ask The Umpire

Runner Crashing into Fielder

Get quick answers to all your Umpiring Questions from Jim Thompson, a member of the Florida and National High School Hall of Fame

by UmpCoach » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:53 pm

High School game (NFHS) - Runner on 1B. Batter hits soft grounder to second baseman. As the second baseman comes in to field ball and the fielder either is about to field it OR fields it cleanly and has ball and about to tag runner coming towards him....the runner crashes into the fielder (leveling the defensive player) as he is proceeding to 2B...everyone was safe as ball was jarred loose from the second baseman. In either case shouldn't the runner be called out for "crashing" (interfering) into the fielder? Shouldn't the runner in every effort avoid interfering with the fielder by stopping, going around or in front of fielder? Umpire did not call anything saying it was "incidental contact" Also in NFHS it states you can't "crash" into the catcher does this not to apply to any other fielder's?
UmpCoach

by JimThompson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:36 pm

Sorry for delay but I'v been laid up with a knee replacement. From your description of the play I would have called the runner out and also the batter runner. It certainly wasn't "incidential contact".
JimThompson

by JimThompson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:40 pm

Forgot your question about crashing into fielder. Malicious contact is prohibited and calls for ejection.
JimThompson

by JCbaseball » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:33 pm

Two things are beautiful

(1) I saw an Umpire Question on BE

(2) Jim is recovering from knee replacement

It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
JCbaseball

Return to Ask The Umpire