Ask The Umpire

New Balance, Shinguards

Get quick answers to all your Umpiring Questions from Jim Thompson, a member of the Florida and National High School Hall of Fame

by aaluck1 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:14 am

Okay. I finally decided to replace my 5 year old Rebook plate shoes (falling apart plus my son needs a pair) and decided on the new NB v3. Love the shoes and they are very comfortable, walking around my house but here is my problem..... The shoes (plate) goes so high my shin guards (Davishins) are pushed up very high, probably 2-4 inches higher than they were in the Rebooks. In fact it would be impossible to lower as the plate of the shoe covers the ankle. I'm not that tall, around 5'9" and I have the 17.5 inch ones from a clearance sale last year. I realize the 15's would have been better for me, especially now, but again clearance sale and no 15's. They worked perfect with my Zigs. But I'm not sure that will correct the problem. These NB plate shoes almost seem like they need a special shin guard, cut high on the front plate.

Do any of you have the NBv3 and have the same problem? What have you done to correct it? Is it just me?
aaluck1

by JimThompson » Mon May 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Afraid I'm not much help. With bad knees I gave away all my equipment several years ago and haven't worked since. I did purchase a new pair of NB a year or so before I retired but don't remember the model but had no problem with my shin guards. BTW Glad you have your son following you. One of these days we are going to run out of umpires unless we get some young guys!
JimThompson

Return to Ask The Umpire