Cup of Coffee

Pitching Speed

International Community Center-A meeting place for baseball enthusiasts of all ages to share interests, make general comments or exchange email addresses. For coaches and players alike.

by TimKafer » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:35 pm

Copied from the old Forum
My son is 14yrs old, he plays in Australia, is 6ft tall and throws at 77mph he tops out at 80mph . I was wondering if this is similar to American kids of the same age ?

Eddie
07-10-2002 @ 12:00 PM
send p.m.

I don't have a bunch of stats to look at but just off the top of my head I would say you have a larger than average 14yr old with a stronger than average arm.

Remember though, that the 4 most important things for a pitcher are...

(1) LOCATION

(2) MOVEMENT

(3) DECEPTION

(4) VELOCITY

**Relentless effort in the pursuit of excellence is its own reward**

Bob_Byrd
07-10-2002 @ 6:08 PM
send p.m.
Administrator

The average 14 year-old pitcher throws around 60 mph and that equates to the ability to throw 196 feet.

If a 14 year-old pitcher can throw 78 that means he can throw a baseball 286 feet. He is in the elite category of 26/10,000 players.

Can we be his agent?

Bob Byrd

KeithLaird
07-10-2002 @ 10:42 PM
send p.m.

Bob,thankyou for your reply to my question on pitch speed in the cup of coffee discussion group . I should elaberate a little ! My son Tim Laird is 14yrs old but turns 15yrs in September this year . He plays in Australia for N.S.W Country .His 80mph pitch was recorded on a Juggs gun last weakend in a tournament in Lismore against an American Coast to Coast team his was the fastest pitch recorded for N.S.W . However one of the Americans recorded an 84mph pitch but I dont know his age . Tims previous best was 77mph and he averages 73 to 75mph . In january we will have our national titles and this will be attended by many American scouts .
Hopefully after that he will require an agent !

Kind regards Keith Laird

weello2000
07-11-2002 @ 11:54 AM
send p.m.

WoW your son pitches pretty fast. I am 15 and my top speed was 75 mph in a game. What team does your son play for??? I might be playing him. I play for the Long Island Baymen based in New York.

danoftroy
11-04-2002 @ 11:00 PM
send p.m.

In a previous message, you said the average speed of a 14-year-old is about 60 mph. Where can I find a chart that shows average speeds by age? My son is 12, and throws 65-68 right now.

Thanks,
Dan

Adam_Kean
12-06-2002 @ 5:31 PM
send p.m.

My name is Adam. I live 90 miles northwest of New York City and last year as a 12 year old in little league i was throwing a 77 mph fastball. This year I've turned 13 and I'm practicing throwing from 60 feet. I've already been clocked in at 79. I'm 5'9, 155. Is there anyone out there who could give me a few pointers on a good circle change up?

-Adam

Rhodedog4444
04-04-2003 @ 10:35 PM
send p.m.

Hey im juss wondering how do i compare! Although this may sound a little crazy im a 13 yr old. I was just wondering how fast i should be throwing right now the fastest ive been clocked at is 87mph. Im real consistence with a great curve and a no spin knuckle ball and i throw around 84 and 85 mph consitently and as of right now im working on a slider but i also have cut fastballs and substitute those as needed. Thank you.

Kindest Regards, Nick Rhodes

bobik88
04-07-2003 @ 9:25 PM
send p.m.

Hey what's up I am currently 14 6'2ft and pitch for my high school team in Pennsylvania I have been clocked to throw 85mph from 60ft, I have been known to throw harder but I can't back it up cause I don't quite remember the speeds and I have a nasty sidearm pitch. I also have a wicked slider. I play anywhere on the field outfield is where I do so now so I can gun kids out. I was just wondering if anyone wants to come watch me pitch sometime I want to take baseball to the next level.

Come watch me, Travis Bobik

This message was edited by bobik88 on 4-7-03 @ 9:33 PM

PimpinT
05-13-2003 @ 2:30 PM
send p.m.

What up im josh and 14 years old im 5'8 and 180 pounds i threw 87 plus i havent hit 90 yet but i plan on it very soon i live in kansas which we prob one of the best places for baseball there are a lot of kids that throw 80 but only a few that throw about hte same speed that i do if you wann know more e-mail me http://www.ksackrey@msn.com
Tim Kafer
TimKafer

Return to Cup of Coffee