Head Games

Belief in My Ability

We named this board after Walter Herbison's book. Ask questions and discuss issues relating to the mental aspects of sports performance. Walter will post as his busy schedule allows.

by TimKafer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:40 pm

hey guys,
I used to be a pitcher with a strong desire to win. I used to also be a pitcher who expected to win every game he pitched and won almost every game he pitched. I liked to in believe myself this way, because I was very confident without being over confident. This gave me the ability to post a 10-1 record in the 2006 season. But later, I faced this one team that almost made it to the LLWS(they lost in late regionals). I shut them out the first four innings, then I started to lose it. I loaded the bases and then this one guy got lucky and took me deep. I've lost a lot of confidence since then. I noticed that my pitching wasn't as good this year. I treat every hitter I face like Babe Ruth, like they're going to crack one off me. I want back what I had a while ago. I pitched a few really good games this year, but even that wasn't enough to instill confidence in me. What can I do to bring that feeling back?

PS I had a good feeling then. I got over the few games I lost fast and forgot about them. I really focused on the wins then. Now, I remember all the loses and forget about the wins.

"It's a great day for a ball game; let's play two!"
-Ernie Banks
Tim Kafer
TimKafer

by TimKafer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:41 pm

When the Red Sox were down 3 games to 1 in the ALCS, Manny Ramirez was asked if he was worried that the Sox might not win. He responded by saying "If it doesn't happen, who cares?" Ramirez said then. "There's always next year. It's not like it's the end of the world."

Although he got killed by the Boston media for saying so, it is this attitude that has helped Manny become one of the great clutch players of his era. You cannot worry and do well at the same time.

My advice to you is to stop caring about how good or bad you are and just have fun. Who cares if someone homers off you? Sandy Koufax gave up homers too. So did Nolan Ryan. So will you.

You got spoiled with that 10-1 record. It ain't gonna happen again, unless you pitch against really bad teams. As you progress, you are going to face better and better hitters. That 80mph fastball that used to strike out batters will end up over the fence unless you learn how to set up the batter so that he's expecting an off speed pitch first.

If you want to keep improving, you will need to trick the batters into swinging at pitches that are balls and not swinging at pitches that are strikes. You won't be able to do that every time, but when they do hit you hard, you need to not care all that much and then concentrate your effort on the next pitch.

-Harley.
Tim Kafer
TimKafer

Return to Head Games