Head Games

A stupid Situation

We named this board after Walter Herbison's book. Ask questions and discuss issues relating to the mental aspects of sports performance. Walter will post as his busy schedule allows.

by TimKafer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:42 pm

I've had this problem for years where sometimes I don't want to play in fear of having to face a certain sitution. The situation is something that everyone has to face but sometimes I don't want to play in championships and stuff because of this. Yeah, there is a lot of pressue in it, but I think it may begin to eat up my baseball career, and all it is is fear of one TINY thing. What can I do to get over it?

Pitch_64
"It's a great day for a ball game; let's play two!"
-Ernie Banks
Tim Kafer
TimKafer

by TimKafer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:43 pm

There are different types of fear.

The good kind of fear keeps you from hurting yourself. The fear of pain stops you from jumping out of 10 story windows or insulting a boxing champion. This is a useful tool that helps to keep you out of trouble.

The bad type of fear keeps you from progressing as a person. Fear of speaking in public, trying out for the team, playing in a playoff game. This is the fear of failure and if you give into it, you are guaranteed not to succeed.

A lot of this fear comes down to fear of the unknown. You really don't know what is going to happen. What you need to do is to think about the worst possible thing that can happen if you strike out with the bases loaded or make the game deciding error, or give up a bases loaded home run. If you realize that none of those things are really that bad, that they pale in comparison to having a loved one die or to find out that you have an incurable disease.

So if you realize that the worst thing that you can do in baseball is not really that bad, then you can throw caution to the wind and look at crunch time as a great opportunity to really kick some butt.

It's much easier to perform well under pressure if you have already practiced these same plays hundreds of times with a ball and glove as well as thousands of times in your mind. If you do that, then when the game is on the line, all of the advantages will be in your favor and it will be the other guy who is afraid while you are having fun.

-Harley.
Tim Kafer
TimKafer

Return to Head Games